When I’m looking for new recipes to try, I love to choose recipes from famous chefs or other food bloggers. Last week, I found this amazing and deep purple red cabbage soup from Gas Oakley, a famous vegan chef and Youtuber. When I saw the amazing recipe on his Instagram, I immediately wanted to make it. I mean, look at that color!
”LET’S EAT THE RAINBOW!”
Before we start cooking, let me tell you something about the ingredients. Red cabbage is the main ingredient in this soup. Red cabbage is super nutritious but not many people know how to use or versatile it. Well, this soup is a perfect and easy way to use it! Did you know red cabbage has a perfect mix of vitamins and minerals? In this recipe I also used Japanese sweet potato. The Japanese version is a little purple/brown from the outside and white from the inside. In combination with the coconut milk you create this beautiful and soft purple color.
Allright, enough talking. It’s finally time to cook! Grab your hands on the recipe down below and let’s make some colorful soup!
Purple red cabbage soup
PURPLE RED CABBAGE SOUP
PREPTIME 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME 45 minutes
PORTIONS 5-6 servings
- 1/2 red cabbage (6 cups / 500 grams), chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 red chili pepper, in small rings
- 3 gloves of garlic, in little pieces
- 1 Japanese sweet potato, in cubes
- 1 leek, in rings
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 cups / 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- 4 cups / 500 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Fresh chives
- Salt & pepper
1. Heat 2 tbsp. of coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped red onion, chili pepper and the garlic and cook until glassy. Add a little bit of coconut oil if needed.
2. When onion and garlic are glassy, add red cabbage and leek. Add all of the spices and cook for 3 minutes until glassy.
3. When all veggies are glassy add sweet potato. Stir until all mixed. Cook for another couple of minutes, until veggies are mixed with dried thyme and black pepper.
4. Add the vegetable stock and apple cider vinegar to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 20-25 minutes until the veggies are soft.
5. When veggies are soft, add coconut. Stir until all combined and cook for 2 more minutes.
6. Use a hand blender to mix the soup until creamy and light purple. Taste and add more salt, pepper or apple cider vinegar if needed.
7. Remove the pot from the heat and serve immediately with croutons, fresh chives and a little bit of olive oil on top.
You can replace the Japanese sweet potato for regular potatoes, or you can use the orange sweet potatoes.
Store the soup in an airtight container for 2 days in the fridge or 1-2 months in the freezer.
Did you try this recipe?
I can’t get enough of all the spices and yummy ingredients in this recipe. It’s easy and nutritious and contains lots of veggies and healthy fats. A perfect balanced meal. A lot of reasons to save this one! And… I have more delicious and easy dinner recipes for you, like this lasagna soup or this tofu based quiche with sweet potato bottom. Checkout Instagram for more recipes and tag me when you made one of them!